Monday, May 23, 2011

"C" is for COOKIE, and "Z" is for ZAC!!!!


So bittersweet when your baby turns ONE! I love being a part of  first birthdays because its such an event! Its a day where parents look at their little one and smile with such joy, but also weep for how fast the time has past. It is a celebration of what a wonderful little person you have raised. Besides, by the child's second birthday, they start having their own ideas, likes and dislikes. So, first birthdays, in some way, is a chance for mommy and daddy to relive 'their' first birthday party!


I had so much fun baking and decorating this cake and cupcakes. The planning for this party started long before Z's birthday! Zacs' Mommy, who happens to be a great friend, had a clear vision. The main theme of the party would be Cookie Monster accented with blue and white decor. For the cupcakes we decided on a simple vanilla cake and tinted the buttercream blue - of course! We were gonna keep it simple at first, but then we decided to push forward with creativity! I first saw these cupcakes I knew they were going to be PERFECT for the party! Then Z's mommy decided that a smash cake would be MUCH more FUN for Z to get his hands into then just a little cupcake, so this is what happened...
Vanilla Cookie Monster Cake
I was sooooo EXCITED for little Z to get his hands dirty - and boy did he!!!! Given the recent popularity of smash cakes, i have yet to see one of my creations attacked - until now!!!! It was so AMAZING to see his reaction to the cake...the cookie, the texture, that first taste of sweet vanilla buttercream - I was overjoyed! in less than 2 minutes he had both hands full of cake and was covered in blue icing looking absolutely 
A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E


Instead of having a larger cake for the friends and family to discreetly eat served on a plate with a fork, we opted for cupcakes (of course) Chocolate cupcakes with vanilla and milk chocolate buttercream for the adults, and mini cookie monsters for the little ones :)




HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY Z-MAN!!!!
Zacs' 1st Birthday was brought to you by the letter Z and the #1

Cookie Monster Cake and Cupcakes was a production of :
Cupcakes On The Side
...hehehe - I couldn't resist ending the post this way ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVED these cupcakes!!! I have a very talented friend! She puts just as much love in everything she does for others, as she does for her own family and handsome little man:)Thank you so much for the amazing smash cake and cupcakes. You know they are delicious when your husband won't let you share the leftovers. :)
xoxo

Blair & Tina Kirwan said...

I found this pic on pinterest and thought what a great idea for my lil man's smash cake...I laughed when I read it because his name is Zach! Do you mind me asking what you used for the eyes?

Cupcakes On The Side said...

@Tina,

For the eyes, I used chocolate wafers - sold in most bulk style food stores. Large white ones and then small milk chocolate ones for the pupils - Hope that helps! I'd love to see a pic when your done!